outside in the garden


Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com



Search GardenWeb:


 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Astragene, with thanks to Garden web

Friday, March 22, 2002

Ahh winter, at last!
 
If I were a skier, I'd be putting on my stretch pants and heading for the hills. It's cold, there's a bit of snow on the ground, and it won't warm up soon. Winter is finally here. We had several snow showers and sleet this week. Yesterday provided a mild respite -- it was in the 50s -- but I was hard at work and indoors most of the day. Sandy brought me a grinder for lunch so I did not have to leave the building.

Today is another story. It is well below freezing, and a cruel wind arose in the night. At our old house, the radiators were chugging away and very hot to the touch, yet the rooms were cold when I arose this morning about 5:10. Old Morris lay dozing on a radiator (insulated by a folded grocery bag) but Mowie, who is his junior by a few years, was yearning to exit the building and began looking at me, as soon as I came out of the bathroom, with the intent stare cats use to convey meaning.

The crocuses-- hardy stalwarts -- live on, much like the Vice President On Wednesday, they were blooming under a quarter inch of snow, and when it began to melt, looked lovely, vivid yellow against white. Better than they looked against last fall's dead leaves. Crocuses are made for late winter. [Do people use the Latin plural, croci ever? I don't like to use Latin word endings myself, except of course, when speaking or writing in Latin.]