outside in the garden


Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com



Search GardenWeb:


 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Astragene, with thanks to Garden web

Saturday, March 16, 2002

Creeping forward
 
So what does viviculture really mean, in practice?

It means becoming conscious of the many small decisions we make every day, and to try to decide in a way that supports and enhances the life of those around us.

For me, it means giving up meat, and using a manual lawnmower, even though my neighbors think I'm a little loopy. It means gardening with native plants, without pesticides, and learning to appreciate the deer's occasional "trimming" of everything I plant. It means buying locally-grown, organic produce as much as I can.

It's not about feeling guilty for all the things I haven't done. It's about trying every day to be a little better than I've been. No one is perfect. We're all at different places in our lives,

From website titled Viviculture

I like the tone of this site; we should enhance life in whatever ways we can. For me this involves trying to live more intentionally. When I read a critique of modern society, I take it to heart and think about what the critique could mean in my own life. For instance if one read that gas engines are polluting the atmosphere, one person might stop driving to work and instead take the bus. Another might do as the Vivculture author has, and stop using a power mower on his lawn. One may consider hand mowing to be free exercise (not to be paid for at a gym) as well as an environment improvement.