outside in the garden


Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com



Search GardenWeb:


 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Astragene, with thanks to Garden web

Monday, July 28, 2003

Baby's breathing on her own ;-)
 
S. and I went to her camp in Maine at the end of June. We noted a baby's breath plant (I thought that's what it was) which she swears no one planted there.
Now, Talitha Purdy writing in Cold Climate Gardening notes a volunteer baby's breath.
I have a baby's breath plant. How on earth it got there, I have no idea. There has never even been baby's breath anywhere near that garden. I did want to put some in--quite badly, but there wasn't enough time or room. I guess God just decided it would all look better with baby's breath in there, and he wasn't going to let me get in the way of putting it there. It seems to be doing splendidly there, and I hope it self-sows with all it's got in it.

Who knows where these things come from? All I know is that the oddities in my garden seem also to be occurring in the colder climates too.

Someone, by the way, recently sent me an email suggesting the white buggy bits in my hosta were mealybugs. Thanks to Sallee G. for the tip, and for the link, as well, to the pages of pallensmith.com, which has a picture and suggestions. My stuff a) just appeared from nowhere; b) hasn't seemed to do much harm; and c) is selective on where it alights. Of three hosta clumps, which are separated by about 4-8 feet, it is the two on either end that are affected. On of those two gets maximal sun, the other is in pretty deep shade. The one in the middle, which gets some sun, but not full, is the older, more established of the three.