outside in the garden


Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com



Search GardenWeb:


 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Astragene, with thanks to Garden web

Sunday, July 13, 2003

Hosta pests
 
On a clump of hosta that I transplanted into a shady area in the spring, there are clusters of whitish small insects, on and just below the flower buds. I see none on the leaves. If any reader of this blog knows what they are and what options I have, I'd appreciate a heads up.

I did a Google search on "hosta pests" and found several sites that say hostas are remarkably pest free, being bothered now and then only by deer, slugs and voles. In the 10 years or so since I first planted a hosta here, I have never been bothered by any of those, nor insects either.

I have never used garden poisons, more from laziness than principle, and am disinclined to do so now, so I hope that's not the only solution. [The solution most often employed in my little garden is Do Nothing and Hope.]