outside in the garden


Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com



Search GardenWeb:


 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Astragene, with thanks to Garden web

Sunday, August 03, 2003

Frowsy
 
We had rain the other day, and we needed it. But the humidity is so high that it hasn't dried up enough to mow.

The garden is no longer in the blush of first youth and resembles the woman in the Degas painting The Absinthe Drinker

[looking for a link to that painting, I found several more Absinthe Drinkers by Picasso, Edouard Manet , Honore Daumier, Francis A Wiley and the enterprising Valery Milovik, who promises to do knockoffs of his first work for any additional takers. A popular topic! ]

The lawn, such as it is, is getting scraggy looking. The hosta and day lillies are beginning to peter out and look tawdry. Even the annuals are scruffy looking despite my frequent dead-heading.

I guess it would have been a good idea to have planted some late-season flowers like zinnias and chrysanthemums.